US GenWebLynnfield, MAMA GenWeb

 
line decor
  
line decor
 
Essex County GenWeb

 
 
Lynnfield Cemeteries

 

There are six cemeteries in Lynnfield. Information regarding their maintenance responsibility, location, a brief description, and the source and/or location of records is shown for each.

Old Burying Ground Date 1728 - 1890
Lynnfield Department of Public Works
South Common Street in center of town, across from the Old Meeting House.  First cemetery in Lynn End (Lynnfield); Earliest burial 21 June 1728, John Pearson; Last burial, 10 July 1890, Martin Herrick.
Records:   Dana Sweetser notebook at Lynnfield Public Library, Genealogy Room John T. Moulton, "Inscriptions from the Old Burial Ground at Lynnfield Center", Essex Institute Historical Collection, (XXIV:146) Thomas B. Wellman, History of Lynnfield, pp79-89.

Salem Street Cemetery Date 1751 - 1940 (Also called the Newhall Cemetery)
Lynnfield Department of Public Works
On Salem Street, South side of Rte 1.  Approximate size 164 X 92 feet; Earliest Burial, Jedediah Newhall, age 31, March 1748; Latest burial, 1940, Nanna (Helen B. [Munroe] Berry).
Records:   Lynnfield Town Hall 

West Burying Ground Date 1809 - 1947 (Also called Main Street Cemetery)
Lynnfield Department of Public Works
Main Street, between center and Middle School.  Approximate size 104 X 262 feet, fenced on 2 sides; Earliest Buria1, 1809, Benjamin Perkins; Latest burial, 1947, Lizzie M. Bancroft.
Records:   Dana Sweetser notebook at Lynnfield Public Library, Genealogy Room Thomas B. Wellman, History of Lynnfield, pp 89-96.

Joseph Tapley Tomb Date 1820's 
No caretaker
In the North part of town, at junction of Lowell & Chestnut Streets. Tomb built by Joseph Tapley, whose house still stands nearby.  Restored in 1892 by David Hewes of California, a lineal descendant.  Originally 12 bodies. None remain.
Records:     None known.  Account of tomb in Thomas B. Wellman, History of Lynnfield, pp96-98.

Forest Hill Cemetery Date 1844 to present 
Lynnfield Department of Public Works
Forest Hill Street, between Summer Street and Essex Street.  Well maintained; Earliest Burial, Mrs. Sarah S. Blake.
Records:   Lynnfield Town Hall Thomas B. Wellman, History of Lynnfield, pp 98-101.

Willow Cemetery Date 1869 to present
Lynnfield Department of Public Works. 
Summer Street, at South end of town, near Rte. 128 Overpass.  Most recent cemetery laid out by the town; Purchased in 1869 from Gen. Josiah Newhall, for $550; well-maintained; granite wall in front; 250 lots; One of first to be buried was Major Andrew Mansfield.
Records:   Lynnfield Town Hall Thomas B. Wellman, History of Lynnfield, pp 101-102.

Lynnfield Department of Public Works Website

 
 
 

 
 
           

Comments or question? Email the Michelle Wilkins Cook Please put Lynnfield GenWeb in the subject line.

Copyright 2011 MWC